- Constant friction triggers the body to grow extra skin in sensitive areas to reduce the risk of damage. The outer layer of skin grows thick and hard, and the dead skin cells build-up. Those dead skin cells look darker, hence the dark spots.
- Sun exposure of affected areas will only increase the problem, as dead skin cells can still absorb sunlight, causing the area to become even darker.
- Dirt that has not been properly removed can actually “stain” dead cells.
- Certain people are genetically predisposed to developing these dark spots on their bodies, especially those with darker skin color.
- Certain medications can cause pigmentation in the knees and ankles.
It is important to visit a dermatologist to make sure there are no medical reasons for the darkening. There are many creams designed to assist your body to reduce the production of melanin/pigment in the area as well as the dryness and rough texture sometimes associated with this problem.
There are a number of specialized peels that are designed to help get rid you of darkening in the desired areas.
- Always use sunscreen, especially on affected areas.
- Avoid rubbing and exfoliating the affected areas which may increase the problem.
- Apply natural, skin-lightening products to the area such as lemon juice, baking soda, and rose water.
- Keep your knees and ankles moisturized at all times.
- Excess Fat
- Age: as we age our metabolism slows down.
- Lack of muscle: the proportion of muscle decreases and the proportion of fat increases over time.
- Lack of physical activity.
- Emotional issues such as depression and stress.
- Sleep deprivation
- Medical conditions such as hypothyroidism.
- Menopause and hormonal changes in women.
- Certain medications such as antidepressants and corticosteroids.
The key difference between using Karmalite’s devices to treat your fat and following a conventional diet and exercise is that you can choose the fat you want to get rid of while leaving the desirable areas alone. You often start to lose fat from your breasts and face while the problematic areas are left unchanged. With new technologies, you can chose the areas where you want to lose fat.
Cryolipolysis is used to freeze unwanted fat cells to the point of rupture without affecting surrounding tissues.
Radiofrequency technology such as Exilis is used to eliminate targeted fat cells on the hips, thighs, buttocks, and abdomen.
LPG Endermologie is one of the most effective treatments for fat reduction and body shaping. Skin also becomes fresher looking, smoother, and more elastic.
Other recommended treatments are Luvitra and Ultratone, which can be used to trigger fat loss where you desire.
- Be mindful of your diet
- Stay active and aim to exercise at least three times a week
- Monitor your weight to make sure everything is in check
- Stop emotional eating by talking to a professional about underlying issues such as depression
- Avoid salty and fatty foods
- Eat lots of fruits and vegetables
- Avoid white bread and rice
- Make sure you are getting lots of fiber